By Niall Lucy
A Dictionary of Postmodernism provides an authoritative A-Z of the severe phrases and principal figures on the topic of the origins and evolution of postmodernist idea and culture.
- Explores the names and ideas that experience come to outline the postmodern situation – from Baudrillard, Jameson, and Lyotard, to the recommendations of deconstruction, meta-narrative, and simulation – along much less canonical themes reminiscent of discussion and punk
- Includes essays through the past due Niall Lucy, a number one professional in postmodernism experiences, and via different famous students who got here jointly to accomplish and extend upon his final work
- Spans a kaleidoscope of postmodernism views, addressing its enthusiasts and haters; its movers and shakers akin to Derrida; its origins in modernism and semiotics, and its outlook for the future
- Features a chain of short essays instead of fastened definitions of the main rules and arguments
- Engaging and thought-provoking, this can be right now a scholarly consultant and enduring reference for the field
Read or Download A Dictionary of Postmodernism PDF
Similar literary criticism & theory books
One of many enduring traditions of Western literary historical past, pastoral is frequently mischaracterized as a catchall for literature approximately rural issues and nature normally. In what's Pastoral? , extraordinary literary historian Paul Alpers argues that pastoral relies upon a primary fiction—that the lives of shepherds or different socially humble figures signify the lives of people usually.
During this provocative examine, Shelly Brivic offers the background of the twentieth-century American novel as a continuing narrative discussion among white and black voices. Exploring 4 of the main well known and tough works written among 1930 and 1990—William Faulkner's Absalom, Absalom! , Richard Wright's local Son, Thomas Pynchon's V.
Experimentation with the speech of characters has been hailed by way of Gérard Genette as “one of the most paths of emancipation within the smooth novel. ” discussion as a stylistic and narrative gadget is a key characteristic within the improvement of the unconventional as a style, but it's also a phenomenon little said or explored within the severe literature.
Ugly presents a useful and obtainable consultant to the use (and abuse) of this complicated literary time period. Justin D. Edwards and Rune Graulund discover the impression of the ugly on cultural types all through historical past, with specific specialise in its illustration in literature, visible paintings and movie.
- Carlos Fuentes: A Critical View (Texas Pan American)
- What Postcolonial Theory Doesn’t Say (Routledge Research in Postcolonial Literatures)
- Paul Auster's Writing Machine: A Thing to Write With
- Text, Theory, Space: Land, Literature and History in South Africa and Australia
- Hip Figures: A Literary History of the Democratic Party (Post*45)
- Dress Codes and Gender Roles in "Little Red Riding Hood": Trajectories of Change through Cultural Contexts
Extra info for A Dictionary of Postmodernism
A Dictionary of Postmodernism by Niall Lucy