By Martin Hose,David Schenker
- Features contributions from quite a lot of proven specialists and rising students of Greek literature
- Offers finished insurance of the numerous genres and literary kinds produced by way of the traditional Greeks—including epic and lyric poetry, oratory, historiography, biography, philosophy, the radical, and technical literature
- Includes readings that deal with the construction and transmission of old Greek texts, historical reception, person authors, and masses more
- Explores the topic of historic Greek literature in cutting edge ways
Read or Download A Companion to Greek Literature (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World) PDF
Best literary criticism & theory books
One of many enduring traditions of Western literary historical past, pastoral is frequently mischaracterized as a catchall for literature approximately rural topics and nature commonly. In what's Pastoral? , exceptional literary historian Paul Alpers argues that pastoral relies upon a basic fiction—that the lives of shepherds or different socially humble figures characterize the lives of people quite often.
During this provocative research, Shelly Brivic provides the heritage of the twentieth-century American novel as a continual narrative discussion among white and black voices. Exploring 4 of the main well known and tough works written among 1930 and 1990—William Faulkner's Absalom, Absalom! , Richard Wright's local Son, Thomas Pynchon's V.
Experimentation with the speech of characters has been hailed by means of Gérard Genette as “one of the most paths of emancipation within the smooth novel. ” discussion as a stylistic and narrative gadget is a key characteristic within the improvement of the radical as a style, but it's also a phenomenon little stated or explored within the severe literature.
Gruesome offers a useful and obtainable consultant to the use (and abuse) of this advanced literary time period. Justin D. Edwards and Rune Graulund discover the impression of the ugly on cultural varieties all through background, with specific specialise in its illustration in literature, visible paintings and movie.
- Global Crusoe: Comparative Literature, Postcolonial Theory and Transnational Aesthetics
- The Philosopher's Desire: Psychoanalysis, Interpretation, and Truth
- English Translation and Classical Reception: Towards a New Literary History (Classical Receptions)
- Modernity and Progress: Fitzgerald, Hemingway, Orwell
Additional info for A Companion to Greek Literature (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World)
A Companion to Greek Literature (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World) by Martin Hose,David Schenker